Attara Kacheri (High Court) Bangalore is a building housing the High Court. Situated opposite the Vidhana Soudha, it dates back to the year 1867. One of the major attractions of the Attara Kacheri is its Gothic Style of architecture. It is a two-storied building, built in the European classical style. Also known as the High Court Building, it serves as the perfect contrast to the white columned building of Vidhana Soudha. Read on to know more about Attara Kacheri of Bangalore, India.
About Attara Kacheri Bangalore :
The Karnataka High Court locally known as Attara Kacheri is the High Court of the state of Karnataka. This is located opposite to the Vidhana Soudha. Attara Kacheri literally means “eighteen offices” or departments. It was earlier known as the Old Public Office which housed the general revenue and secretariat of the State government.
It was established in 1884 under the Mysore High Court Act, 1884; and was known as the Mysore High Court until 1973 when the name of the state was changed.
The Attara Kacheri made in the 19th century is a stone structure in an intense red color. The construction followed Gothic Style of architecture. The majestic two storied Building with Corinthian columns was completed in 1864. This deep red building creates a magic along with the white columned Vidhana Soudha. Located in the Cubbon Park, the building cost Rs 4.5 lakh. Rao Bahadur Arcot Narayanaswamy Mudaliar was the man who supervised the construction. The court housed the Public Offices from 1868 until 1956.Which was later moved to the Vidhana Soudha, and this building became the high court. On the ceiling of its Central Hall is a Portrait of Sir Mark Cubbon, Commissioner of Mysore from 1834 to 1861.
The History of the Karnataka High Court can be traced back to the year 1884 when the Chief Court of Mysore was created with three judges and was designated as the highest court of appeal, reference and revision in the State of Mysore, the earlier name of Karnataka.The court had District Courts, Sub-ordinate Judges’ Courts and Munsiff Courts to assist it on civil cases and a Court of Sessions, District Magistrate and First, Second and Third Class Magistrates to assist it on criminal cases. In 1881, the office of the Chief Judge was created and the designated person had the utmost authority in the court. In 1930, it was renamed as the High Court of Mysore and the Chief Judge was given the new name of Chief Justice. In 1973, it got its present name of Karnataka High Court.
Presently the court is headquartered in Bangalore which is the administrative capital of the state. The court has sanctioned judge strength of 40.
Attara Kacheri is 2 kms From MG Road. Other notable buildings nearby are the Public Library, the Government Museum, the Visveswaraya Industrial and Technological Museum and the Venkatappa Art Gallery.