Birla Planetarium In Chennai is a large planetarium providing a virtual tour of the night sky and holding cosmic shows on a specially perforated hemispherical aluminium inner dome. It is located at Kotturpuram in the Periyar Science and Technology Centre campus which houses eight galleries, namely, Physical Science, Electronics and Communication, Energy.
About Birla Planetarium :
Birla Planetarium is one of the popular attractions of Chennai that provide an insight in to the cosmic world. Situated at Kotturpuram, Birla Planetarium is an integral part of Periyar Science and Technology Museum.
Birla Planetarium, built in memory of the famous industrialist and visionary Sri B. M. Birla, was opened to public in 1988. The Planetarium has a Science Centre and a Planetarium.
The Planetarium conducts regular audio-visual programs on astronomy. The popular exhibits at the Planetarium are Solar System, Cycle of Stars, Sky and Seasons, Comets, Man on the Moon, etc. Science Park, Traffic Park, Science on Wheels, etc. are the highlights of Science Centre.
For children visiting the Planetarium, there are toy cars which are operated by automatic electronic signal systems.
Attractions Birla Planetarium In Chennai :
- The Birla Planetarium exhibits the developments in science and technology using a multipurpose GOTO GM II projector, an additional special-effects projector and the X-Y table system regenerating few of the most overwhelming heavenly happenings.
- The planetarium presents virtual reality cosmic shows which are programs in night-sky observations and astronomy. The completely air- conditioned theatre has a seating capacity that would fit 236 people.
- Distinguished people in the field of astronomy contribute to the B.M. Birla Planetarium by carrying out lectures in the seminar rooms and classrooms in the facility.
- A walk in the Science Park presents interactive displays which aid in the learning of science in an open air environment.
- A total forest has been replicated in the Eco park – plants, water, life models of animals, tiger, lion and deer are a clear-cut magnet with kids and elders alike. Nature lovers and environmentalists can have an interesting experience at the energy and Eco park.
- Children can have an interesting time running around in toy cars with the aid of automatic electronic signal methods in the Traffic Park that keeps you shoulder to shoulder and informed with the newest road safety measures.
- The Meteorological Observatory has state of the art meteorological instruments that can tip off on the probable climatic transformations. They also offer answers to largely unanswered questions on the celestial phenomena.
- A completely original model is being carried out to transmit the significance of science to the farthest vicinity – Science on Wheels – a mobile science presentation.
Features of Birla Planetarium :
- Birla Planetarium in Chennai forms a part of the Periyar Science and Technology Museum.
- It encompasses a Science Centre and a Planetarium.
- Eight galleries on themes of Physical Science, Transport, Electronics and Communication, Energy, Materials Science, Life Science, Innovation, International Dolls and Children with over 500 exhibits.
- Don’t miss the visit to the Centre which will be a thoroughly enjoyable and enlightening experience for you.
- Galleries display demonstrations of the interactive variety.
- You can even participate directly in the learning process and learn about the scientific principles and developments taking place in science and technology.
- The exhibits on the Solar System, Cycle of Stars, Sky and Seasons, Comets, Man on the Moon are absolutely fabulous.
- These are the highlights of the Planetarium’s unique programs since its beginning days in 1988.
- The latest to come from Birla Planetarium is Science on Wheels, a mobile science exhibition. The purpose is to carry the message of science even to the remotest areas.
- Visit the Science Park which provides the interactive exhibits to enable you to learn science.
- The Traffic Park keeps you updated of the latest road safety measures.
- Your kids can have fun here dashing around in toy cars with the help of automatic electronic signal systems.
Location of Birla Planetarium :
Birla Planetarium features a fully computerized planetarium located in the Kotturpuram suburbs of Chennai city. The planetarium is an integral part of Periyar Science and Technology Centre, a premier institute in the southern state of India, Tamil Nadu. Birla Planetarium is situated on the Gandhi Mandapam Road with the nearest bus stop and railway station being Kotturpuram Bus Stop and Kotturpuram Railway Station. The bus station is about two kms north of the planetarium and the railway station about a kilometre in the north-east.
Overview Birla Planetarium In Chennai :
Birla Planetarium is a fully computerized planetarium featuring an audio video sojourn of the cosmic space. The planetarium started as a project in the year1988 and the establishment responsible for its inception was the famous Periyar Science and Technology Centre of Chennai. The planetarium was built in the memory of the leading industrialist and visionary of India, B.M. Birla. The planetarium hosts regular shows pertaining to the astronomy. The place, since its inception is a frequently visited place by tourists, students, environmentalists and people inclined to astronomy.
Visiting the Birla Planetarium :
The Science and Technology Centre & Birla Planetarium are open on all days except for national holidays from 10 AM to 5:45 PM. Timings for the cosmic shows in the planetarium (English) are 10:45 AM, 1:15 PM and 3:45 PM. For those who which to enjoy the shows in the local language (Tamil), the timings are 12 noon and 2.30 PM.
How to Reach Birla Planetarium in Chennai :
By Air : The Kamaraj Domestic Airport and the Anna International Airport are located at Tirusulam at a distance of 20 km from the city.
By Rail : Chennai is also well connected to all the major cities in India through a wide network of railways. The rail service connects to all the main cities of the neighboring state and the country.
By Road : The excellent road network of Chennai makes it easily accessible from other important cities of Tamil Nadu and the neighboring states.
Birla Planetarium, Chennai,
Tamilnadu Science & Technology Centre,
Gandhi Mandapam Road (Behind CLRI),
Chennai- 600 025.
Near Gandhi Mandapam Road, Adyar.
Best Selling Products May Surprise You