Covelong Beach, sited on the way to Mahabalipuram, has transmogrified into an exclusive, classy beach resort. It is located on the Coromandel Coast of Bay of Bengal, where the shining sun, calm sea and shimmering sand form a unique aura of cheerfulness and magnetism.
About Covelong Beach :
Covelong Beach is a popular destination among beach lovers. Covelong Beach is regarded as one of the finest beaches in the state of Tamil Nadu. Located on the coast of Coromandel, between the cities of Chennai and Mahabalipuram, Covelong Beach is famous for beach activities and its serene beauty. Covelong Beach was a principal port in the 16th century. It was Saadat Ali, the Nawab of Carnatic, who built a port at Covelong Beach in the year 1746. In 1752, the port was captured by the French and it was soon seized by the British East India Company. Today, Covelong Beach has transformed to become one among the top beach resorts in the South. Covelong Beach, though famous for its clear waters, is less crowded. It is at a distance of 40 km from Chennai and is visited mostly by water sports enthusiasts for activities like wind surfing, swimming, etc. The vicinity of Covelong Beach to ancient historic monuments like forts, churches and mosques makes it a popular sightseeing choice. The proximity to Mahabalipuram and Crocodile Farm also make Covelong Beach a popular destination.
Attractions Covelong Beach In Chennai :
Situated about 40 km from Chennai is the enchanting Covelong beach. This beach is one among the other beaches in Chennai which is marked for its serene beauty and several other activities. It was also once the hub of French in India.
Adventure lovers can enjoy a number of water sports in this beach. Wind surfing and swimming are popular activities among the tourists here. The peaceful and tranquil ambience of the beach makes it an ideal spot for those who wish to meditate.
Covelong Beach is famous for its clear waters and serenity. The beach is one of the best for people who likes a dip and a dive. Swimmimg and wind surfing are popular activities of the tourists. The beach environs are quite fruitful for those who seek meditation. The beach houses the adorable fishing settlement. There are other attractions of the bygone era like an old old fort, church and a mosque. These attractions, however, are secondary and most of the people enjoy either the dip or basking in the sun.
Not very far from the beach is the tourist hotspot Mahabalipuram. The tourists who come to Covelong Beach, generally makes to the place of Mahabalipuram.
Features of Covelong Beach in Chennai :
- In the yester years, Covelong was the renowned port of the Nawabs of the Carnatic. Saadat Ali, Nawab of Carnatic, built the ancient port of Covelong.
- In 1746, Covelong was taken over by the troops of the French General Laboudonnais and in 1752, it was destroyed by Clive.
- The beach of Covelong offers an amazing array of sports activities like windsurfing, swimming and other water sports.
- Covelong Beach is dotted with the historical monuments like forts, churches, mosques and more.
- The beach of Covelong lies in the lee of an ancient Dutch fort. You can see a few walls of the fort which still remain in ruins.
- The ancient Catholic Church is a must visit amongst the other religious monuments at Covelong.
- Take a relaxing sunbath and rejuvenate your body and soul in a serene and pristine atmosphere.
- Visit the marvelous Mahabalipuram which is located nearby, just 19 km. away.
- Don’t miss the Crocodile Farm and watch the crocodiles from close quarters.
- When it comes to accommodation, Covelong Beach offers plenty of options that suit various budgets.
- The hotels at Covelong, Chennai and Mahabalipuram may suit your needs.
History Covelong Beach In Chennai :
This dreamy fishing village was originally a port town built by the Carnatic Nawab, Saadat Ali. In 1746, this place was an important political hub for the French. During the Carnatic War in 1752, Lord Clive razed down the fort. Earlier, another fort had been built here by the Dutch. This fort has now been converted as a beach resort, called Taj Fisherman’s Cove.
Aqua Sports of Covelong Beach :
The highly spirited village of Covelong is well known for its brisk fishing activities. Being frequently visited by tourists from all over the world, Covelong is the ideal place for sea surfing, as the sea and the wind are very gentle. Besides swimming and other water sports, one can seek the help of local fishermen and set out to sea in catamarans. These are the popular activities among the tourists. Thus this cool beach spot is the right place for adventure seekers.
How to Reach Covelong Beach in Chennai :
By Air : The Kamaraj Domestic Airport and the Anna International Airport are located at Tirusulam at a distance of 20 km from the city.
By Rail : Chennai is also well connected to all the major cities in India through a wide network of railways. The rail service connects to all the main cities of the neighboring state and the country.
By Road : The excellent road network of Chennai makes it easily accessible from other important cities of Tamil Nadu and the neighboring states.