Manchinbele Dam and Dodda Alada Mara, Bangalore
The Doda Alada Mara (also spelled Dodda Alada Mara), literally translated to Big Banyan Tree, is a giant Banyan tree located in the village of Ramohalli, near kengeri approximately 28 kilometers west of the city of Bangalore, Karnataka, India. This single plant covers 3 acres (12,000 m2) and is one of the largest of its kind. It is said to be at least 400 years old.
About Dodda Alada Mara :
Dodda Alada Mara is a giant Banyan tree in the village of Ramohalli, approximately 28 kilometers west of Bangalore. This 400 year old sprawling tree covers about 3 acres. The main tree has over the years spread out widely with several aerial roots and though is a single tree, it looks like many different trees now.
The entire tree is fenced, and the enclosed area has marked pathways. You can walk around under the tree’s canopy and enjoy the banyan shade. There is also a Shiva temple in the enclosure.
This is the fourth largest banyan tree in India after these three huge trees:
1) World’s biggest banyan tree at Thimmamma Marimanu near Gooty, Andhra Pradesh
2) The banyan tree at Botanical Gardens in Kolkata
3) Adyar banyan tree at Chennai
There are many monkeys here that are very used to having humans around. You will see some huge ones too. If they think you have food, they will not hesitate snatching your bags etc from you. So, watch out for them.
About Manchinbele Dam :
Manchanabele Dam is located about 40Kms form Bengaluru City. And 20 Kms from Magadi Town and 14 km from Dodda Alada Mara or Big Banyan Tree in Ramanagaram District. Manchanabele Dam is also called as Manchanbele, Manchinabele, Manchinbele dam. Journey time is 60 – 90 minutes if no traffic.
Manchanabele Dam is the small reservoir build across the river Arkavathi for the Irrigation purposes and to supply water for the Magadi town. irrigation project named as Thore saalu because all the villages comes on the two sides of river arkavathi, in Kannada Thore means river and Saalu means line.
Here we can go do various activities here like Bird watching, hiking, rock climbing, boating, photography or spend time in leisure.The beauty is in the backwaters it has created surrounded by stone structed rugged hills. This is very good for family picnic, friends outing or couples.
How to reach there:
- If you are travelling from Bangalore, on Mysore road take the right turn besides Rajarajeshwari Dental College.
- Go to Dodda Alada Mara. On the way you will find ISRO’s Moon Misson Control room at Byalu village.
- Take left and keep riding. After ISRO centre the road is bad for few KMs.
- Keep driving and then suddenly you will see water surrounded by small hills.
- Here you go, reached your destination.
- Keep driving and then take right trun where it is written “Camp 1.5 km).