The St. Andrew’s Church, Egmore is popularly referred to as ‘The Kirk’. It was consecrated in 1821 AD especially for the Scottish Community in Chennai. The church was the result of efforts of Major Thomas Fort de Havilland and Colonel James Caldwell. St Andrew’s Kirk was built to serve the members of the Scottish Church serving in the East India Company.
About St. Andrew’s Church :
St. Andrew’s Church in Chennai also popular as St. Anrew’s Kirk will entice you with its Georgian architecture. Located on the Poonamallee High Road and not too far from the Egmore Railway Station in Chennai in India, St. Andrew’s Church is one of the unique structures in the southern part of the country, which have received acclaims for their architectural grandeur and intricacy.
Also known as the Queen of Scottish Churches in the East, St. Andrew’s Church in Chennai was sanctified in1821 and built for the Scottish Community in the city. Though the foundation was laid in 1818, East India Company led by Major Thomas Fort de Havilland and Colonel James Caldwell, built it following the model of St Martin-in-the-Fields, London.
Attraction St. Andrew’s Church In Chennai :
The Church, also known as ‘the Kirk,’ was built in 1780 and branded as `the Queen of Scottish Churches in the East’. St Andrew’s Church, which was constructed basically for the Scottish community in Chennai, is one of the supreme examples of Georgian architecture in India. There is an arching dome tinted with Lapis Lazuli and the sixteen fluted Corinthian columns add to the loveliness of the church. A special aspect of the Kirk cathedral is its hidden foundation. Sanctified in 1821, it is presently under the Church of South India (CSI). Colonel James Caldwell and Major Thomas Fort de Havilland were the persons guided the whole construction for the benefits of Scottish Community in India. Some other attractive features are the black and white marble floor and the woodwork in this church.
Features of St. Andrew’s Church in Chennai :
- St. Andrew’s Church in Chennai is one of the aesthetically rare neo-classical churches in the country.
- The church interiors have been magnificently done with rich mahogany wood work.
- You will be impressed by the floor of the church designed with chequer-board pattern of marble exuding of grandeur.
- The dome of St. Andrew’s Church in Chennai with a diameter of 52 feet and painted with the blue shaded lapis lazuli, is worth watching and is supported by 16 Corinthian circular pillars.
- About 150 wells were dug to lay the foundation of St. Andrew’s Church in Chennai.
- You will also be attracted by the décor of the walls of St. Andrew’s Church in Chennai.
- You can reach up the roof of the building by a narrow stairway.
- While one of the inner halls has a bell, the church tower is visible in the front.
- What you must relish about St. Andrew’s Church in Chennai is the lime stucco work, intensifying the aesthetic value of the structure.
- Various charitable and community projects are undertaken by St. Andrew’s Church in Chennai.
History St. Andrew’s Church In Chennai :
St Andrew’s, the first Church in Vepery is one of the earliest Roman Catholic churches in Madras. It is the Mother Church for the famous Votive Shrine in Kilpauk, Our Lady of Lourdes Shrine in Perambur, St Joseph’s in Vepery, St Anthony’s in Pudupet and St Anthony’s in Narasingapuram. The old Church of St Andrew’s was built by Rev Fr Felix, an Italian Capuchin in 1830. Msgr D Raju who was the 28th Parish Priest [1940 – 1971] of St Andrew’s Church built the new Church which now exists with great splendour. Msgr P Thomas, late Archbishop of Bangalore, was the Parish Priest from 1931 to 1939.The new Church was constructed at the same site as the old one constructed by the Capuchin Father in Kalathiappa Street.
Architecture St. Andrew’s Church :
St. Andrew’s Church is considered as one of the best Georgian architecture structure in the whole Asian continent. The church interiors are covered with rich mahogany wood work. The floor of the church is provided with a cheque pattern marble that reflects the elegance of the structure. The dome of the church has a diameter of about 52 feet. There are 16 Corinthian circular pillars that support the dome. The dome is painted with the blue shaded lapis lazuli. The foundation of the structure has been laid by digging about 150 wells underneath. The walls of the church are bounteously decorated and the stained glass is exceptional. The roof of the building is accessible by a narrow stairway. In one of the inner halls is located a bell the chime of which is quite pleasant. The church tower is provided at the front end. One of the best features of the church is the lime stucco work. The stucco work gives an extra dimension to the building.
Overview St. Andrew’s Church In Chennai :
Saint Andrew’s Church is sometimes called as ‘The Queen of Scottish Churches in the East’. The church was consecrated in the year 1821. The church was built for the Scottish Community that had settled in the Chennai city. The church foundation was laid by Doctor John Allen in the year 1818. East India Company under the banner of Major Thomas Fort de Havilland and Colonel James Caldwell were responsible for the construction of the church. The church construction plan was borrowed from an existing structure called St. Martins’s Lane. St. Andrew’s Church thus portrays the brilliance of Georgian Architecture.
Location St. Andrew’s Church :
St. Andrew’s Church, which is also famous as St. Anrew’s Kirk, is situated on the Poonamallee High Road a few hundred metres from the Egmore Railway Station in the Chennai city. Chennai city constitutes the capital of Tamil Nadu state and houses great many architectural, historical and religious attractions. The monument is one of the best Georgian architecture buildings in South India and Asia at large.
Mass Timings St. Andrew’s Church In Chennai :
Sunday Mass – Timings/Language: 5.30 am & 7.30 am -Tamil 9.00 am & 5.30 pm – English
St Andrew Church
No.123, Kalathiappa Street,
Chennai – 600 112.
Telephone No :
26 61 22 03 / 25 32 40 15